Welcome


My vision is that across the lifespan, from infancy through the golden years, people will have a more positive relationship with healthy eating. I hope to inspire my readers to seek out opportunities to either grow their own food or to find fresh, local ingredients that will improve their health, help the environment and support local farmers and growers. My hope is to help people have a life-long love affair with good, healthy food. ~Katherine

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Lessons from the garden




I began gardening about 6 years ago. I was inspired by my next-door neighbor, who I have dubbed “The Master Gardener,” after I watched her garden grow and evolve for over 10 years. My gardening mentor warned me that I would soon get sucked in and become one of those crazy gardeners who spot a weed in one of their planting beds from their kitchen window and run outside in their robe and slippers to pull the offending weed from the ground. She was right. So, as I struggle to maintain my garden in the midst of the summer heat, over the next few weeks, I’ll be sharing a few of the lessons my garden has taught me.

1)      Growth takes time, sweat, and love. What you put into it, is pretty much what you will get out of it.
After mostly gardening in containers for several years, I decided to dig a large planting bed in my backyard. I anticipated that this would be a huge undertaking but I had no idea how hard it would be. The sod in my backyard has grown undisturbed for over 40 years, and the grass has strong, deep roots. I did not rent a sod cutter because I was afraid that something would go horribly wrong, so I dug the entire 10 foot x 8 foot bed by hand. I did it during a week of my vacation and after hours of removing and hauling away sod, I would soak in a tub of hot water and douse myself in that green rubbing alcohol. The next morning I would wake up feeling great and go back to digging. After the digging came the planting, the watering, the fertilizing, and on and on. It never seems to end.

In much the same way as digging my garden bed, positive relationships, a successful career, and healthy, well-adjusted children take time, sweat and love. How many times have you witnessed a parent ignore, neglect or abuse their children and then shake their heads in disbelief when their children go astray. It pains me when I hear young mothers cursing at their children, call them names or tell them to “quit talkin’ to me.” These children’s tender spirits are often so bruised and crushed that the children become angry and bitter before they are old enough to articulate the pain that they are feeling. I’m the first person to admit that “I don’t know nuthin’ ‘bout birthin’ no babies” but I’ve worked with children for years and witnessed the horrible things that can happen if children do not get what they need from their caregivers. I could stick a plant in the ground and leave it up to mother nature to water it, and leave it to fend off insects and plant diseases on its own, and it may survive, but as what? A withered stump of a plant, barely distinguishable from the weeds that have nearly choked the life out of it? The schools, the streets and juvenile detention centers all over the country are full of children such as these. My prayer is that stressed out parents will receive the strength, the intestinal fortitude, and the support to give their children the attention that they need for them to grow.

More lessons to come. And hopefully a field trip. I’m excited!

1 comment:

  1. Kathyyyyy...I love reading your thoughts, and knowing you, makes it even more real. Please come to Merrillville...my acre awaits your loving touch! Maybe you can inspire me...you think?

    ReplyDelete